“The great appeal of anagama firing is its total unpredictability so that each piece is unique in its character and can never be repeated. Deliberately inefficient and taking considerable amounts of wood, an anagama kiln will reveal the effects of flame, ash and vitrification that make the wares unique.” (Chester Nealie, one of Australasia’s greatest exponents of wood firing.)
Te Haunui Anagama
One of the club’s hidden gems is a Japanese styled anagama wood fired kiln nestled in Horokiwi. One of very few in New Zealand, it is fired annually. Find out more about our Anagama kiln.
Our last (13th) Anagama firing was from 9-12 November 2017.
The 14th Anagama firing will be held in October 2018
- Receiving Day: Sunday 7 October 2018
Pots received at rooms (Upstairs) from 10 am – 3 pm
- Transport pots to kiln: Sunday 7 October 2018
- Load Kiln: Monday 8 – Saturday 13 October
- Fire kiln: Wednesday 17 – Sunday 21 October
- Cool kiln: Monday 22 – Saturday 27 October
- Unload kiln (starting at 11 am) & BBQ (noon): Sunday 28 October